Goldie Copper™ is a very pure copper clay. The powder contains 99,9% of pure dendrite copper. After firing and removing the patina created in the firing process the metal is very light and has a beautiful color.
Goldie Copper™ is an environmentally friendly product. The binders are organic and non toxic. The container that the powder comes in is deliberately larger than needed so it can be reused afterwards. Please do your bit for the environment and keep the container for future use (non food use only). Goldie Copper™ shrinks by about 12%-18% on firing, depending on the shape and the size of the piece. Dried clay can be ground up to a powder and reconstituted. Goldie Copper™ is simple and economical to use.
● First, stir the powdered clay well in its original container, to ensure it is properly mixed,and then put the desired amount of powder into a smaller container.
● Add about a dozen drops of water or spray in a little water and mix with a knife or spoon, adding more water as required, until you get a clay of a plasticine like consistency.
● Roll the lump clay out thinly and fold over. Roll again, rolling away from the fold. Repeat this action several times. This is very important to ensure that all the air is removed from the clay and to get a smooth consistency before using. Insert into a plastic bag or container and wait for 30 minutes.
● To join elements in Goldie Copper™ clay mix a little powder with water to make a paste.Elements can also be joined with the water only method in the same way as silver clay.
● Pieces can be dried naturally or by using heat, e.g. on a hotplate or in a dehydrator. Dry at 90°C (195°F) or lower. Higher temperatures may cause cracking, and if steam appears it might create bubbles in the material.
● Remember to always clean your tools well between using different types of metal clay to avoid cross contamination. The above tip does not apply to Goldie Metal™ line products, because they can be mixed with Mokume Gane or other techniques. See FAQ for detailed description.
● Ensure the clay is completely dry before firing. Any moisture will boil and ruin the piece.
● Lay the pieces in a stainless steel firing container on a layer of activated coconut shell carbon with a minimum depth 1cm (1/2”) under the pieces. Make sure the pieces are at least 1cm (1/2”) apart. Place the open container into a cold kiln and fire at full ramp to 580°C (1080°F) and hold for 30 minutes.
● Carefully remove the container from the kiln and place on a heatproof surface. Fill the container with a layer of activated coconut shell carbon with a minimum depth 1cm (1/2”) over the pieces, and place back into the kiln.
● Full ramp to 960°C (1740°F) and hold for 2 – 3 hours, depending on the thickness. This period of time can be reduced even to an hour and a half in case of small elements, we encourage you to experiment.
● Fired pieces can be removed from the kiln hot or cold.
Do not breathe in the powder or ingest Goldie de la Rosa Bronze™. Always use the appropriate safety equipment when working with a hot kiln and fire in a well ventilated area. Goldie de la Rosa Bronze™ is non toxic and does not contain any harmful chemicals. There have been no reports of any allergic reaction to Goldie de la Rosa Bronze™, however people with allergies should be aware of the possibility of a reaction and use with care.
Click Here For Printable Instructions
Click here for MSDS